056 A Boss's choice 2
大耳朵英语  http://www.bigear.cn  2008-08-27 12:45:13  【打印
感谢大耳朵网友"smartsugar"提供的听力原文

A Boss's Choice 主管的抉擇

(Which is more important: looking out for your employees or looking out for yourself?

什麼比較重要:為員工著想?還是先顧自己?

by Beth Bowyer)

[Reading]

Wesley is an advertising manager at an athletic shoe company. Two years ago, he hired a young man named Joseph to work in his department. Since then, Joseph has been an excellent employee. His talent and commitment to his job have helped to increase the company's sales by five percent. He is an asset to Wesley and the entire advertising department.

卫斯理是一家运动鞋公司的广告经理。两年前,他雇用一位名叫约瑟夫的年轻人到他的部门工作。从那时起,约瑟夫就一直是很出色的员工。他的才能和对工作的认真已让公司营业额增加了百分之五。对卫斯理和整个广告部门而言,他是一个不可多得的人才。

Yesterday, Wesley's boss called to tell him that a position is now available in the company's marketing department. She asked Wesley to recommend someone for the position. Joseph would be the perfect choice. The position would be a great opportunity for him. However, Wesley doesn't want to lose him.

昨天,卫斯理的老板打电话告诉他,现在公司的行销部门有一个职缺,她要卫斯理推荐一个人递补这个缺。约瑟夫会是最佳人选,这个职位对他而言是绝佳的机会。然而,卫斯理却不想让他走。

If you were Wesley, what would you do? 如果你是卫斯理,你会怎么做?

Decision 2 决定二

Wesley: Joseph's dedication to his work makes my job so much easier. I'd really hate to lose him. 卫斯理:约瑟夫对工作尽心尽力,让我做事轻松多了。我实在很不愿意让他。

Martha: I know you don't want him to go, but you need to recommend someone good. 玛撒:我知道你不要他走,但是你必须推荐好的人选。

Wesley: I know. Even though Joseph's the best choice, I just can't imagine working without him. 卫斯理:对啊。即使约瑟夫是最好的人选,但我就是无法想像他不在的情况。

Martha: You should just talk to Joseph. Maybe he would prefer to stay in advertising. 玛撒:你应该找约瑟夫谈谈,说不定他想继续做广告。

Wesley: But when I interviewed him two years ago, a job in marketing was his dream. 卫斯理:但两年前我面试他时,行销工作是他的梦想。

Martha: That was two years ago. Maybe he has changed his mind.

玛撒:那是两年前,搞不好他已经改变心意了。

Wesley: Maybe. He has been very successful in advertising.

卫斯理:也许吧。他在广告方面「一直」做得很好。

Martha: Well, perhaps he really enjoys advertising now.

玛撒:那么说不定他现在很喜欢做广告了。

Wesley: Do you think he has given up on marketing?

卫斯理:你想他已经放弃做行销的念头了吗?

Martha: You won't know until you ask him.

玛撒:你要问他才知道。

Wesley: You're right. I'll talk to him tomorrow.

卫斯理:你说得没错。我明天就找他谈。

Martha: If he decides to stay, maybe you should give him a raise.

玛撒:如果他决定留下来,也许你该给他加薪。

Wesley: Good idea. He's definitely worth more money. Thanks, honey.

卫斯理:好主意。他肯定应该拿更高的薪水。亲爱的,谢谢。

Decisions 3 决定三

Wesley: I wish the boss has never called me. This choice is too difficult.

卫斯理:我多希望老板没打电话给我。这个定太难做了。

Martha: It's not that difficult, honey. Joseph is the right man for the job. You should recommend him.

玛撒:亲爱的,没「那么」难。约瑟夫是这份工作的合适人选,你该推荐他。

Wesley: But our department needs him.

卫斯理:但是我们的部门需要他。

Martha: You'll find other good employees to replace him. You're a good boss. You can train others to do a good job. You shouldn't hold Joseph back.

玛撒:你会找到其他优秀员工取代他。你是个好上司,能训练其他人把事情做好,你不应该强留约瑟夫。

Wesley: (sign) I know. I'll just have to look for a good replacement. 卫斯理:(叹气)我知道。我只是必须找一个好的人选来代替他。

Martha: I'm sure you'll find one.

玛撒:我相信你会找到的。

Wesley: This marketing job might be a dream come true for Joseph. I should wholeheartedly recommend him.

卫斯理:这份行销工作对约瑟夫而言可能是梦想成真。我应该全力推荐他。

Martha: Yes, you should. He'll be happy. And you know it is the right thing to do.

玛撒:没错,你应该。他会很开心的,你也知道这样做是对的。

Wesley: You're right. Thanks, Martha.

卫斯理:你说得对。玛撒,谢谢。

[Word Bank]

dedication (n) 专心;致力

Diane's dedication to her job is clear. She works hard all day and usually stays late.

give up (phr/v) 放弃

I used to take guitar lessons, but I gave up after a few months. They were too hard!

raise (n) 加薪

My mother is a very good employee, so her company gives her a raise every year.

replace (v) 取代;以...代替

Daniel replaced the old table with a new one.

wholeheartedly (adv) 全心全意地

My family wholeheartedly agrees that our grandmother makes delicious apple pie.

[Language Tips]

give up (v/phr) 放弃希望或努力:

I give up halfway through the marathon. 在跑马拉松的中途我就放弃了。

give up on something 对某件事情不再有期待

Henry gave up on acting, and went back to school to finish his degree. Henry放弃当演员,回到学校完成他的学位。

raise (n) 加薪

Ricky asked his boss for a raise. Ricky向老板要求要加薪。

give someone a raise 替某人加薪

Bob gave his assistant a raise for her hard work and good attitude. Bob替他的助理加薪,因为她的工作认真,态度又很好。

replace (v) 代替或取代

Ellen replaced Susan as the new chairperson of the committee. Ellen取代Susan成为新的委员会主席。

We replaced our old computer with a notebook. 我们用笔记型电脑取代旧的电脑。