14 The People Rebel
1. That night all the people of the community raised their voices and wept aloud.
2. All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, "If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert!
以色列众人向摩西,亚伦发怨言, 全会众对他们说:" 巴不得我们早死在埃及地, 或是死在这旷野.
3. Why is the Lord bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn't it be better for us to go back to Egypt?"
耶和华为什么把我们领到那地, 使我们倒在刀下呢? 我们的妻子和孩子必被掳掠, 我们回埃及去岂不好吗?"
4. And they said to each other, "We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt."
众人彼此说:" 我们不如力一个首领, 回埃及去吧!"
5. Then Moses and Aaron fell facedown in front of the whole Israelite assembly gathered there.
6. Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh, who were among those who had explored the land, tore their clothes
窥探地的人中, 嫩的儿子约书亚和耶孚尼的儿子迦勒, 撕裂衣服,
7. and said to the entire Israelite assembly, "The land we passed through and explored is exceedingly good.
8. If the Lord is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land flowing with milk and honey, and will give it to us.
耶和华若喜悦我们, 就必将我们领进那地, 把地赐给我们, 那地原是流奶与蜜之地.
9. Only do not rebel against the Lord . And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will swallow them up. Their protection is gone, but the Lord is with us. Do not be afraid of them."
但你们不可背叛耶和华, 也不要怕那地的居民, 因为他们是我们的食物, 并且荫庇他们的已经离开他们.有耶和华与我们同在, 不要怕他们!"
10. But the whole assembly talked about stoning them. Then the glory of the Lord appeared at the Tent of Meeting to all the Israelites.
但全会众说:" 拿石头打死他们二人!" 忽然, 耶和华的荣光在会幕中向以色列众人显现.
11. The Lord said to Moses, "How long will these people treat me with contempt? How long will they refuse to believe in me, in spite of all the miraculous signs I have performed among them?
耶和华对摩西说:" 这百姓藐视我要到几时呢? 我在他们中间行了这一切神迹, 他们还不信我要到几时呢?
12. I will strike them down with a plague and destroy them, but I will make you into a nation greater and stronger than they."
我要用瘟疫击杀他们, 使他们不得承受那地, 叫你的后裔成为大国, 比他们强胜."
13. Moses said to the Lord , "Then the Egyptians will hear about it! By your power you brought these people up from among them.
摩西对耶和华说:" 埃及人必听见这事, 因为你曾施展大能, 将这百姓从他们中间领上来.
14. And they will tell the inhabitants of this land about it. They have already heard that you, O Lord , are with these people and that you, O Lord , have been seen face to face, that your cloud stays over them, and that you go before them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.
埃及人要将这事传给迦南地的居民, 那民已经听见你耶和华是在这百姓中间, 因为你面对面被人看见, 有你的云彩停在他们以上. 你日间在云柱中, 夜间在火柱中, 在他们前面行.
15. If you put these people to death all at one time, the nations who have heard this report about you will say,
如今你若把这百姓杀了, 如杀一人, 那些听见你名声的列邦必议论说:
16. 'The Lord was not able to bring these people into the land he promised them on oath; so he slaughtered them in the desert.'
' 耶和华因为不能把这些百姓领进他向他们起誓应许之地, 所以在旷野把他们杀了.'
17. "Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared:
" 现在求主大显能力, 照你所说过的话说:
18. 'The Lord is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.'
' 耶和华不轻易发怒, 并有丰盛的慈爱, 赦免罪孽和过犯, 万不以有罪的为无罪, 必追讨他的罪, 自父及子, 直到三四代.'
19. In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now."
20. The Lord replied, "I have forgiven them, as you asked.
21. Nevertheless, as surely as I live and as surely as the glory of the Lord fills the whole earth,
22. not one of the men who saw my glory and the miraculous signs I performed in Egypt and in the desert but who disobeyed me and tested me ten times-
这些人虽看见我的荣耀和我在埃及与旷野所行的神迹, 仍然试探我这十次, 不听从我的话,
23. not one of them will ever see the land I promised on oath to their forefathers. No one who has treated me with contempt will ever see it.
他们断不得看见我向他们的祖宗所起誓应许之地. 凡藐视我的, 一个也不得看见:
24. But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it.
惟独我的仆人迦勒, 因他另有一个心志, 专一跟从我, 我就把他领进他所去过的那地; 他的后裔也必得那地为业.
25. Since the Amalekites and Canaanites are living in the valleys, turn back tomorrow and set out toward the desert along the route to the Red Sea. "
亚玛力人和迦南人住在谷中, 明天你们要转回, 从红海的路往旷野去."
26. The Lord said to Moses and Aaron:
27. "How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites.
" 这恶会众向我发怨言, 我忍耐他们要到几时呢? 以色列人向我发怨言, 我都听见了.
28. So tell them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Lord , I will do to you the very things I heard you say:
你们告诉他们, 耶和华说:' 我指着我的永生起誓: 我必要照你们达到我耳中的话待你们.
29. In this desert your bodies will fall-every one of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me.
你们的尸首必倒在这旷野, 并且你们中间凡被点数, 从二十岁以外向我发怨言的,
30. Not one of you will enter the land I swore with uplifted hand to make your home, except Caleb son of Jephunneh and Joshua son of Nun.
31. As for your children that you said would be taken as plunder, I will bring them in to enjoy the land you have rejected.
但你们的妇人孩子, 就是你们所说要被掳掠的, 我必把他们领进去, 他们就得知你们所厌弃的那地.
32. But you-your bodies will fall in this desert.
33. Your children will be shepherds here for forty years, suffering for your unfaithfulness, until the last of your bodies lies in the desert.
你们的儿女必在旷野漂流四十年, 担当你们淫行的罪, 直到你们的尸首在旷野消灭.
34. For forty years-one year for each of the forty days you explored the land-you will suffer for your sins and know what it is like to have me against you.'
按你们窥探那地的四十日, 一年顶一日, 你们要担当罪孽四十年, 就知道我与你们疏远了.'
35. I, the Lord , have spoken, and I will surely do these things to this whole wicked community, which has banded together against me. They will meet their end in this desert; here they will die."
我耶和华说过, 我总要这样待这一切聚集敌我的恶会众, 他们必在这旷野消灭, 在这里死亡."
36. So the men Moses had sent to explore the land, who returned and made the whole community grumble against him by spreading a bad report about it-
摩西所打发窥探那地的人回来, 报那地的恶信, 叫全会众向摩西发怨言,
37. these men responsible for spreading the bad report about the land were struck down and died of a plague before the Lord .
38. Of the men who went to explore the land, only Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh survived.
39. When Moses reported this to all the Israelites, they mourned bitterly.
40. Early the next morning they went up toward the high hill country. "We have sinned," they said. "We will go up to the place the Lord promised."
清早起来上山顶去, 说:" 我们在这里, 我们有罪了, 情愿上耶和华所应许的地方去."
41. But Moses said, "Why are you disobeying the Lord 's command? This will not succeed!
摩西说:" 你们为何违背耶和华的命令呢? 这事不能顺利了.
42. Do not go up, because the Lord is not with you. You will be defeated by your enemies,
不要上去, 因为耶和华不在你们中间, 恐怕你们被仇敌杀败了.
43. for the Amalekites and Canaanites will face you there. Because you have turned away from the Lord , he will not be with you and you will fall by the sword."
亚玛力人和迦南人都在你们面前, 你们必倒在刀下, 因你们退回不跟从耶和华, 所以他必不与你们同在."
44. Nevertheless, in their presumption they went up toward the high hill country, though neither Moses nor the ark of the Lord 's covenant moved from the camp.
45. Then the Amalekites and Canaanites who lived in that hill country came down and attacked them and beat them down all the way to Hormah.
于是亚玛力人和住在那山上的迦南人都下来击打他们, 把他们杀退了, 直到何珥玛.