
感谢大耳朵网友"luckyllj”提供的听力原文
4. It Doesn’t Make Sense 没道理
BACKGROUND 背景
An old friend goes to visit her college roommate in her new house.
一个老朋友去她的大学同宿舍好友的新居拜访。
A: Linda, it’s so great to see you again!
琳达,再次见到你真是太高兴了!
B: Well, thanks for inviting me to lunch. I never seem to leave my house these days!
谢谢你邀我吃午饭。我这些天几乎没有出过门!
A: Come in, please. Make yourself at home.
请进。随便点,别客气。
B: Thanks. You have a beautiful place.
谢谢,你这地方真漂亮。
A: I’m glad you like it. The furniture’s in pretty bad condition, though. We should get rid of it. It really looks bad in this new house.
很高兴你喜欢,尽管家具很糟糕。我们应该丢掉它,新房子里放旧家具实在有些难看。
B: Don’t do that. It’s very comfortable. You have children, don’t you?
别丢。家具挺舒适的。你有孩子吧?
A: Yes, we do. Two boys and a girl. Not to mention two dogs and a cat. So we have to make this furniture do. As long as the children are small, anyway. It doesn’t make sense to replace it.
是啊。两个男孩和一个女孩。而且还有两只狗和一只猫。就是因为孩子们太小了,所以我们不得不留着这些家具。丢掉了没有多大意义。
B: I know what you mean. Our children are hard on furniture, too. They are always jumping up and down on the sofa or spilling food on my chairs.
我懂你的意思。我家孩子也是不爱惜家具。他们总是在沙发上蹦来蹦去,要不就把饭撒在椅子上。
A: They sound just like my children.
他们跟我的孩子们差不了多少。
B: Maybe we should get them all together to play with each other some afternoon.
也许我们该找一个下午让他们聚在一起玩一玩。
A: That’s a great idea!
这个主意可真好!
5. Let’s Make the Most of Our Weekend
周末狂想曲
BACKGROUND 背景
Two friends decide to go to New York for a weekend of fun.
两个朋友决定到纽约去过周末。
A: Hi, Kim. I can’t believe that the summer is almost over.
嗨,金姆。我真不能相信这个夏天就要过去了。
B: I know. Time flies!
是啊。光阴似箭。
A: Friday is a holiday. Let’s take advantage of the long weekend. Do you want to go to New York? We could leave Thursday night and spend the whole weekend in the city.
星期五放假。让我们好好利用一下这个长周末。想不想去纽约?我们可以星期四晚上走,整个周末都呆在那里。
B: Okay. But I’d rather go on Friday. I have to get my car fixed on Thursday.
好啊,不过我想星期五走,我星期四要把车修好。
A: All right. We can take turns driving.
好吧,我们可以轮流开车。
B: Fine. We won’t get so tired that way.
不错,这样我们就不会太累。
A: I’m looking forward to seeing New York. I’ve never been there, but I have always wanted to go.
我真盼望看到纽约啊。我从来没去过,但一直就想去。
B: I haven’t either. Let’s make the most of our weekend.
我也是。让我们尽情享受周末吧。
A: We can go sightseeing during the day. In the evening we can go to a play. Do you think we can get tickets?
我们白天可以去观光。晚上就去看表演。你说我们会买到票吗?
B: I don’t think we stand a chance. It’s hard to get tickets on weekends. Anyway, we can try.
我想我们买不到。周末买票太难了。不管怎样,还是试一下吧。
A: It doesn’t matter. There are hundreds of things to do in New York, especially during a holiday.
不要紧。纽约有那么多事可做呢,尤其是在周末。
B: You’re right! Whatever we do, we are sure to have good time.
对!不管我们做什么,都会玩得很尽兴的。
A: Great! I can’t wait until Friday!
太好了!我盼着快到星期五!
6. Jenny Is Always Late 珍尼总是迟到
BACKGROUND 背景
A girl is complaining about her friend always being late.
一个女孩在抱怨她的朋友总是迟到。
A: Hi, Ken.
嗨,肯。
B: Hi, Lily. What are you so upset about?
嗨,莉莉。你为什么事这么生气?
A: I’m furious with Jenny! She’s always late.
珍尼快气死我了!她总是迟到。
B: Always? Why don’t you talk it over with her? Encourage her to be
on time, or tell her how much it annoys you?
总是?你为什么不和她好好谈一谈,鼓励她准时一点,或者告诉她你对这件事很恼火呢?
A: Look! I’ve talked till I’m blue in the face. It’s out of the question.
告诉你,我已经费尽口舌,却毫无成效。要说服她真的是不可能的。
B: There must be something you can do.
你一定会有办法的。
A: I doubt it. Last night we went to a concert. Do you know what time we got there? Just in time to go out for the intermission! We missed half of the show!
我很怀疑这一点,昨晚我们去听音乐会。你知道我们什么时候到的吗?正好赶上中间的休息时间,我们误了一半!
B: I guess you’re just wasting your breath then. Time means nothing to Jenny.
那我想你确实是徒劳了。时间对珍尼来说是没有用的。
A: You’re right. I guess I should just stop doing things with her.
是啊。我想我以后不跟她交往了。
B: You don’t have to go that far. Just don’t waste your time waiting for her.
你倒没必要那么过分。只要别再浪费时间等她就行了。
A: I guess you’re right. I could just tell her to meet me at the restaurant or movie.
我想你说得对。那我就让她在饭馆或是电影院等我。
B: Right. Then if she’s late, it’s her problem not yours.
对。那样的话,她若迟到就是她的问题而与你无关。
A: Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it!
谢谢你的建议。非常感谢!
7. I Get Cold Feet
畏缩不前
BACKGROUND 背景
One friend is encouraging another to see a dentist.
一个人在鼓励他的朋友去看牙医。
A : Hi, Mike. What’s new?
嗨,迈克。你好吗?
B: What’s wrong with you? Your face is swollen. You look terrible!
你这是怎么啦?脸都肿了。气色很不好!
A : My jaw aches. I don’t know why.
我下巴疼,我也不知道是怎么回事。
B: Let me take a look. No wonder it hurts! One of your teeth looks decayed. You’d better see a dentist right away.
让我看一看。难怪疼呀!你有颗牙齿坏了。最好马上去看牙医。
A: Do you think I have to? I’ve been putting it off for weeks. To tell the honest truth, dentists scare me to death. I get cold feet when I have to go to one. Even thinking of it makes me shake.
一定要去吗?我都拖了好几个星期了。说实话,我害怕牙医怕得要死。每次去到那里我就紧张得不得了。就连想到牙医我都不寒而栗。
B: Don’t be silly. You’d be better off seeing one. I’ll make an appointment for you. Only a fool is afraid of the dentist!
别犯傻了。你还是要看医生的。我来帮你预约。只有傻子才怕见牙医呢!
A: Okay. I might as well go. But find me one who doesn’t hurt!
好。还是去吧。不过帮我找一个看牙不疼的牙医哦!
B: Come on. I’m your best friend. You can count on me. There’s nothing to be afraid of.
好啦。我是你最好的朋友,你就放心吧。没有什么可害怕的。
A: Well, if you say so, I’ll take your word for it.
好吧,既然你这么说,我就照你说的做。
8. The More the Merrier
多多益善
BACKGROUND 背景
This is a conversation between a husband and wife.
这是一组夫妻之间的对话。
A: Hi, Bill. When did you get back?
嗨,比尔。你什么时候回来的?
B: About an hour ago. What’s new? Did anyone call for me while I was out?
回来有一个小时了。怎么样?我不在的时候有没有人打电话找我?
A: Yeah, someone named Johnson called this afternoon. He left word for you to call him. He’s at the Holiday Inn Hotel. You can get in touch with him there.
有一个叫约翰逊的下午打电话过来。他要你给他回电话。他住在假日酒店。你可以打那里的电话联系到他。
B: Oh,that’s my old friend from college, Dave Johnson. I knew he was coming to town. I didn’t expect him today, though. I must have got mixed up on the dates. What a great surprise!
哦,那是我的大学同窗好友戴维•约翰逊。我知道他要过来。不过没想到是今天。我一定是把日子搞混了。真是个天大的惊喜!
A: Should we ask him to our party tonight?
我们要不要请他来参加今晚的聚会?
B: I’d like to. But we’ve already invited twenty people. And the apartment is pretty small.
我是这么想。但是我们已经邀请了二十个人,房子又很小。
A: Don’t worry. We can always make room for one more. The more the merrier you know.
别担心。多一个还是不成问题的。人越多越开心嘛。
B: That’s true. And the other guests will like Dave. He’s very friendly, and he always has funny stories and jokes to tell.
没错。其他客人们也会喜欢戴维的。他很友善,而且总是逗大家笑。
A: Be sure to tell him not to dress up. It’s a casual party, you know.
告诉他不要穿得太隆重。你知道这是个非正式的聚会。
B: Okay. I’ll go pick Dave up. He doesn’t know this city. He might lose his way coming alone.
好的。我开车去接他。他不熟悉这个城市,一个人来可能会迷路的。
A: Okay, I’ll stay here and finish getting things ready for the party.
好吧,我留在这里准备聚会的事。
B: Sounds great. I’ll see you later then.
这样不错。一会见。
A: Okay. Bye!
好,再见!
9. He’s the Right Man for the Job
他是最佳人选
BACKGROUND 背景
Two people are discussing the mayor’s speech.
两个人在谈论市长的演讲。
A: Hi, Janice.
嗨,珍妮丝。
B: Hi, Steve. What’s new?
嗨,史蒂夫。有什么好消息吗?
A: I’ve just heard a speech by the mayor. He’s an excellent speaker. His speech today was very powerful.
我刚才听了市长的演讲。他是一位优秀的演讲家,演讲很有号召力。
B: Yes, he’s a good man. I like him. Although I don’t always see eye to eye with him. I still respect him very much.
是的,还不错。我喜欢他。尽管我的观点与他的不尽相同,我还是非常敬佩他。
A: There’s one good thing about him: he isn’t behind the times. He knows this is the 21st century
他其中的一个好处是:他不落伍。他知道这是21世纪了。
B: I like the way he got right down to business. He’s a man of action. Right from the start. He doesn’t waste time talking about problems. He likes to solve them.
我喜欢他做事果断。从一开始,他就是一个实干家。他不会把时间浪费在谈论问题上。他喜欢解决问题。
A: That’s true. He made a point of going to work immediately. The city has made a lot of progress since he’s been the mayor.
的确。他目的一明确,即刻就工作。自从他上任以来,这个城市已经有了很大的改观。
B: He’s very independent. He doesn’t rely on others. He finds out everything first hand. Then he takes steps to improve the situation. That’s what I admire in a leader.
他非常独立,不依赖别人,只要取得第一手资料,就马上采取行动改善状况。这才是我所敬慕的领导。
A: He’s the right man for the job.
他是这一工作的最好人选。
B: I couldn’t agree with you more.
你说得太对了。
A: Next time he gives speech I’ll ask you to come along.
下一次他做演讲的时候,我会邀你同去。
B: That would be great. Thanks a lot.
太好了。多谢。
10. I Forgot All about It
我把它忘到了九霄云外
BACKGROUND 背景
One friend is telling the other about his busy schedule.
一个人在告诉他的朋友他有多忙。
A: Hi, Kim. How’s it going? I’ve got a problem.
嗨,金姆。进展如何?我遇到了点麻烦。
B: What’s bothering you Stone? You look stressed.
石头,是什么事让你心烦?你看上去心事重重的。
A: I always bite off more than I can chew. I agreed to speak at an international conference in Shanghai next Monday. Now I won’t be able to do it.
我总是试图做自己做不来的事。我答应下星期一在上海的一个国际性大会上讲话。现在没法去了。
B: Why not? What happened?
为什么呢?怎么回事呀?
A: I’m going to Beijing that day. I have an important speech and TV interview there. I forgot all about it. I don’t have the heart to tell the conference now. It’s the second time I’ve done this. How can I save face? I feel terrible.
那天我刚好要去北京,我有一个非常重要的演讲和电视采访。我全给忘了。现在,我没有勇气告诉上海方面。这可是第二回了。我怎么才能挽回面子呢?我觉得糟透了。
B: Don’t worry about it. They’d have to search high and low to find a better speaker. And they know it. They need someone who can speak good English and Chinese.
别担心,他们会到别处去找个更好的演讲者。而且他们也会理解的。 他们需要一个能说一口流利的英语和汉语的人。
A: Thank you. But I doubt that. I’m sure they’d prefer someone who keeps his word. I’ve got to talk to my assistant. He’s always messing up my schedule!
谢谢。但我对此表示怀疑。我想他们宁愿要一个守信用的人。我要找我的助手谈谈.他总是把我的计划打乱!
B: Forget it. They know you’re not leading them on. They’ll ask you again, I’m sure. These things happen. You’re a busy guy.
得了吧。他们知道你不是骗他们的。我确信他们还会再请你的。这种事常有,你也很忙。
A: Thanks for saying that, Kim. I feel a lot better.
金姆,谢谢你这么说。我觉得好多了。
B: That’s what friends are for. Besides, I’m sure it’s not easy being so famous!
这是朋友之间应该做的。再说,名人也不是好当的!
11. Don’t Beat around the Bush不要拐弯抹角
BACKGROUND 背景
One friend is telling another bad news.
一个人在向他的朋友讲述坏消息。
A: I’ve been waiting for an hour! Where have you been?
我都等了一个小时了!你去哪了?
B: I got stuck in traffic on the way back from Joe’s office.
我在从乔的办公室回来的路上遇到了塞车。
A: Okay. Tell me exactly what Joe said. Don’t beat around the bush. Give it to me straight.
好吧。确切地告诉我乔都说了些什么。别拐弯抹角,直截了当地说出来。
B: Hold your horses! I’ll tell you in a minute. Let me catch my breath. I just got here and I told you traffic was terrible.
耐心地等一下!待会儿就告诉你。让我先缓口气。我刚到这儿,而且我告诉你了,交通阻塞。
A: You can do that later. Tell me. What did Joe say?
你待会儿再休息。告诉我,乔说了什么?
B: Do you really want to know? Even if it’s bad news?
你真想知道吗?连坏消息也想知道?
A: Of course I do. Just tell me.
当然。你就说吧。
B: Okay. If you really want to know. He said you always try to pull the wool over his eyes. He thinks you are dishonest.
好。如果你真想知道的话。他说你总是试图欺骗他。他觉得你不够诚实。
A: What? That’s not true! Perhaps I exaggerate a little. But that’s all. I’ve never tried to deceive him.
什么?那不是真的!也许我是夸张了点,仅此而已,但我从未试图要骗他的。
B: Why don’t you do what I do?
为什么不学学我呢?
A: What’s that?
什么?
B: Take his remark with a grain of salt.
对他的话半信半疑。
A: That’s easy for you to say, he’s not your boss!
你说起来容易,他又不是你的老板!
B: Yeah, but I’ve known him for ten years. I’m telling you, his comment isn’t worth worrying about.
对,但是我跟他交往有十年了。我告诉你,他的话不值得你担心。
A: I hope you’re right.
我希望你是对的。
Part 5 考试听力
1、 I Want to Invite You to a Party
我想邀请你参加一个聚会
A: Hello!
B: Hello! Marry! This is Mike.
A: Mike! Nice to hear from you again. How are you?
B: Fine, thanks. And you?
A: Oh, not bad.
B: Good. Listen. I’m phoning because I want to invite you to a party. At
our new house. And...
A: New house? Really?
B: We’ve moved. That’s why we’re giving the party. Can you come?
A: Of course. When is it?
B: This Saturday evening.
A: When does the party start?
B: Come at any time after eight. All right?
A: Yes. Oh, by the w...
B: Bye! See you on Saturday evening.
A: Wait a moment, Mike. You haven’t... Mike? Are you still there? You
haven’t given me your new address. Hello? Mike? Hello?
A:喂?
B:喂!玛丽,我是迈克。
A:迈克,很高兴又听到你的声音。你好吗?
B:很好,谢谢。你呢?
A:哦,还不错。
B:太好了。我这次打电话来是想邀请你参加一个聚会。在我们的新房子里,而且……
A:新房子?真的?
B:真的。我们刚刚搬进来,所以才举办这次聚会。你能来吗?
A:当然了,什么时候?
B:这个星期六晚上。
A:几点钟开始?
B:八点以后什么时间来都可以。怎么样?
A:好的。哦,我想……
B:好的,周六晚上见!
A:迈克,等一下。你还没……迈克!喂?你还没告诉我你的新地址呢!喂?迈克!喂?
2、 Where’s the Museum
博物馆在哪
W: Excuse me, where is the Bell Museum?
M: Oh, it’s not far away from here. You can walk.
W: Yes?
M: Go straight along this road. Then turn left...
No, right. Turn right at the first turning.
W: Turn right?
M: Yes. Keep walking till the crossroads. Then turn left. You’ll see a
theatre on the right.
W: A theatre?
M: Yes. Beside the theatre, there is a side street.
W: Do I take that street?
M: Right. Walk to the end of the street and turn left again. Then you’ll
see a church on the left. Next to the church is the museum.
W: Oh, this is not easy. I’ll try.
M: Good luck.
W: Thank you very much.
M: You’re welcome.
W:对不起,请问大钟博物馆怎么走?
M:哦,离这不算太远。你走着去就行。
W:是吗?
M:顺着这条路一直走,然后左转……不,是右转。在第一个路口右转。
W:右转?
M:对。一直走,走到十字路口,然后向左,你会看到在你的右边有一个电影院。
W:电影院?
M:对。在电影院的旁边,有一条小街。
W:我从小街进去?
M:对。一直走到头然后再向左转。在你的右手边有一个教堂,博物馆就挨着教堂。
W:哦,看来还不是那么容易找。我试试吧。
M:祝你好运!
W:非常感谢!
M:不客气。
、 I’m Just So Tired 我只是太累了
M: Well, Stella? Why do you look unhappy?
W: Oh, Bill, I have just had a quarrel with Mr. Philips.
M: Mr. Philips! What on earth was it about?
W: Well, I have made three bad mistakes so far this week. Today I forgot to give him an important message, so he got really angry with me.
M: But I don’t understand. You are usually very careful and never make mistakes.
W: I’m just so tired. I don’t know what I’m doing.
M: Why? Have you been going to bed late these days?
W: No. I’m usually in bed at about eleven. But I’ve been woken up at half past four every morning. And then I can not go back to sleep again.
M: Why?
W: It’s my new neighbor, the milkman next door. He has to get up at half past four and he always turns the radio on loudly.
M: Ask him to turn it down then.
W: It’s difficult. I don’t know him yet.
M: If you don’t want to see him, write him a letter.
W: Do you think it’s a good idea?
M: Yes, I do. I’ll help you with the letter.
W: OK. Let’s try.
W:斯特拉,你看上去怎么不高兴?
M:哦,比尔,我刚和菲力普先生吵了一架。
W:和菲力普先生!到底是因为什么?
M:这星期到目前为止我已经犯了三个严重的错误了。今天我忘了告诉他一个重要的留言,他就特别生气。
W:但我不明白,你一向都是很细心的,从来不出错。
M:我只是太累了。我都不知道自己在做什么。
W:为什么?你这些天很晚才睡吗?
M:不是。我通常是在11点睡觉。但是每天早上4:30就醒来,然后就再也睡不着了。
W:怎么回事?
M:我的住处新搬来了个邻居,是个送牛奶的。他每天早上4:30起床,然后就把收音机开得特别响。
W:那就让他关小一点呗。
M:很难。我还不认识他呢。
W:如果你不想见他的话,那就给他写封信。
M:你觉得这个办法行得通吗?
W:我想可以。我来帮你写信。
M:好。那我们试试吧。