1. More and more people use the mobile phone or computer to communicate , and no longer write letters to each other. Some people think the skills of letter writing will soon disappear completely. Do you agree or disagree? How important do you think letter-writing is?
2. In many countries, traditional foods are being replaced by international fast foods. This is having a negative effect on both families and societies. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. Lectures were used in the past as an old way of teaching a large number of students. As new technology is now available for education, some people suggest that there is no justification for lectures. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. Many problems have impacts on the world, so good relationships between different countries are becoming more and more important. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
5. Some people think that money should be saved for one’s retired life.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
6. Who should pay the costs for higher education: all paid by government, all paid by students, all paid by students using a loan and repaid after graduation. Compare the benefits and choose one you think best.
7. Some employers focus on academic qualifications , paying less attention to life experiences and personal qualities. Why is this phenomenon ? Is this development positive or negative?
8. Some experts say that children’s studying English at primary school is better than their studying English at secondary school. Do you think its advantages outweigh its disadvantages?
9. Unemployment is getting increasingly serious in many countries. Some people think students only need to get primary education, while others think secondary education is necessary. What’s your opinion ?
10. An American film actor once said, “Tomorrow is important and precious .” Some people think individuals and society should pay more attention to the future than to the present. Do you agree or disagree?
11. Old generations often hold some traditional ideas on the correct way of life, thinking and behavior. However, some people think that it is not helpful for the young generations to prepare for modern life in the future. What’s your opinion?
12. Schools offer a wide range of courses such as physical education, music, economics, philosophy , math, English，geography, physics and history. Among all these subjects, which one do you think is the most important and which one is the least important?
13. Figures show that some countries have an ever-increasing proportion of the population who are aged 15 or younger. What do you think are the current and future effects of this may be for those countries?
1. Some people think universities should provide knowledge and skills related to future career.Others think the true function of the university is to give access to knowledge for its own sake. What is your opinion?
2. Some people say the government should pay for the health care and education, but others say that it is not the government’s responsibility . Discuss both views and give your opinion.
3. It is now possible to perform. everyday tasks as banking, shopping and business transactions without meeting people face-to-face. What are the effects it may bring on the individual and the society as a whole?
4. Air transport is increasingly used to export fruits and vegetables to other countries where they cannot be grown or are out of season. Some people believe that this is a good thing, but others consider this use of air transport can’t be justified . Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
5. Some people believe children spending time on TV, video and PC games is good while others believe that is bad. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
6. Some people think to lower the crime rate, criminals should be given longer terms in prison. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Some people think imported food exerts positive impacts on our lives. To what extent do you agree?
8. Aircraft uses more fuel than cars and produces more pollution. Some people suggest the non-essential use of aircraft like international travel shoudl be discouraged. Do you agree or disagree?
1. Individuals can do nothing to improve the environment, and only governments and large companies can make a difference. To what extent do you agree or disagree? >The best way to solve the world’s environmental problems is to increase the price of fuel . To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. People think the public library will be replaced by the computer. To what extent do you agree or disagree? >The main purpose of libraries is to provide books, therefore they should not use limited resources and space and should be replaced by computer software , DVDs etc. Do you agree or disagree?
3. Some people think schools should select pupils according to their academic ability, but others believe pupils with different abilities should be educated together. Discuss both views and give your opinion>Some people think intelligent children should learn with others together, since it will benefit everyone, while other people think intelligent children should learn separately , and also should get special treatment. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
4. The society would benefit from the ban on all forms of advertising because it serves no useful purposes and can even be damaging. To some extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion? >In some countries, advertisers increase the amount of advertising to persuade children to buy snacks, toys，and other goods. Parents object such pressure on children. But some advertisers claim that there is useful information in these advertisements. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
5. Customers are faced with increasing amounts of advertising due to the competition among companies. To what extent do you think consumers are influenced by advertisements? And what measures can be taken to protect their interests? >In some countries, advertisers increase the amount of advertising to persuade children to buy snacks, toys，and other goods. Parents object such pressure on children. But some advertisers claim that there is useful information in these advertisements. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
6. Some people think the food has been changed by technological and scientific advances is improved, but others worry that is harmful. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.>Food can be produced much more cheaply today because of improved fertilizers and better machinery. However, some of the methods used to do this may be dangerous to human health and may have negative effects on local communities. To what extent do you agree or disagree.
7. Some people think that a new language should be invented for people from different countries to use for the international communication. To what extent do you think its advantages far outweigh its disadvantages?>The advantages brought by the spread of English as “global language" will outweigh the disadvantages. To what extant do you agree or disagree?
8. Some people think students should be encouraged to begin working after they have graduated from senior high school, while others think students should attend university first and then begin to work. What’s your opinion?>In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this practice .
9. Nowadays, a large amount of advertising is aimed at children, so some people think there are lots of negative effects on children, and should ban it. To what extent you agree or disagree?>In some countries, advertisers increase the amount of advertising to persuade children to buy snacks, toys，and other goods. Parents object such pressure on children. But some advertisers claim that there is useful information in these advertisements. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
10. Nowadays, we are living in a throw-away society. What are its causes and what are its problems?>Many people say that we have developed into a “throw-away “culture, because we are filling our environment with so many plastic bags and rubbish that we cannot fully dispose of. To what degree do you agree with this opinion and what measures can you recommend to solve this problem?
11. We can see more disasters and violence shown on TV .What are its causes and what effects will they exert on the individual and the society?>Detailed description of crimes on newspaper and TV has bad influences ，so this kind of information should be restricted on media. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. Some people think people can exploit animals for any purpose they need, while others do not think so. What is your opinion?>Some people think animal experiment is cruel, while others think it is important for the scientific development. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
13. More working people are busy with work and have no enough time to spend with their family and friends. Why does this happen? What are the effects on family life and society as a whole?
14. Teachers used to convey information, but now with wide resources of information, there is no role for teachers to play in modern education.Do you agree or disagree?>Computers are widely used in education, and some people think teachers do not play an important role in the classroom. To what extend do you agree?
1. The unpaid community service should be a necessary part in high college programs (such as helping your neighbor or teaching the children sports or working for the charity).To what extent do you agree or disagree? < than adults young the and community to drawbacks more brings it think you do extent what To community. in people help work unpaid undertake should>
2. Nowadays, computer is used more and more in education. Do you think in which areas computer is more important and in which areas teachers are more important？ < or agree Do development. mental physical children’s on effects negative have schools used computers contrary , On efficiently . learn children not>
3. Many developing countries are increasingly expanding their tourism industry. Why is this case? Is it a positive development? < its outweigh far advantages world. industry biggest is tourism international>
4. In some countries, schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. For today’s world, which of these systems is more appropriate ? < or agree Do on subjects. of range a study students encourage universities that claim some However, subject. specific one focus university>
5. Some people think that the government should pay the course fees for those who want to go to university. Do you agree or disagree?< choose benefits Compare graduation. after repaid loan using by paid all students, government, education: higher for costs pay>
6. Many people believe that main aim for university education is to help graduates to find a better job, while other people believe that university education has wider benefits for individual and society. Discuss both views and give your opinion.< functions other say Discuss functions. has others while employment, preparing education>
7. An increasing number of people choose to live in big cities. What problems will this bring about? Should the government encourage people to live in small towns?< your What’s countryside . live like city, prefer>
1. Nowadays, some people claim that public museums and art galleries will not be needed because people can see historical objects and works by using computer. Do you agree or disagree?
2. Some people think government should ensure the healthy lifestyle. of people, but others argue that it should be decided by individuals. Discuss and give your opinion.
3. The number of cars keeps increasing, so road systems should be expanded. Some people think the government should pay for it, while others think the car owners should pay for it. What is your opinion?
4. People should look after their health as a duty to the society they live in rather than personal benefits . To what extent do you agree or disagree?